Monday, May 16, 2011

Doors Closed? No Not True

No need to discuss the weekend. It was a weekend and that's all I can say about that. However, I did have a wonderful Sunday. Love: With education you have EVERYTHING you need to be ANYTHING you ever wanted to be.

There are rare times when I get to sit down and just relax. I know this is something I say often but this Sunday ended up being a great end to a tumultuous week. Well this Sunday, I got to do the things that I haven't done in a while. 1) Read the New York Times Sunday paper, 2) Watched "Meet the Press" and "Week in Review" 3) Took a morning jog and 4) Had tea and fruit. Pause~ Boring...yeah I guess. But as the old quote says "One man's trash is another man's treasure." Welcome to my treasure. Play~ Waking up at 6AM, I definitely got up and set the wheels in motion for the day. So once I returned from my run and my Sunday purchases, I sat down to see "Meet the Press." And as I watched, I paid attention and ceremoniously shouted back at the television for the entire duration of the program. Pause~ I am secretly very passionate about politics. I love ingesting it all. From autobiographies (yes I read Sarah Palin's book too), to CNN.com and the NYT. Now I know many people may think that I must be one of those "smart/intelligent" people. However, my belief in life is "You can not complain about it if you are ignorant to the facts." Play~

However, as I was sitting there listening, shouting and laughing at all the political antics from the past week I ran across the speech Michelle Obama gave at the 2011 Spelman graduation. Pause~ I am a real Michelle Obama fan! Like truly enamoured with her history and impressed with her stern beliefs. She is definitely on my "Awesome Women" list. Play~ In listening to Michelle Obama there are two things you can take from her. 1) She is one of the girls! and 2) She speaks with such passion and belief.
In her speech the overall message was about knowing that what you earned is something that no one can take. Use it, covet it and don't forget to show.it.off!

Usually, I would sit and make note on my computer or write it down in the poppycock. But once the speech was completed, I realized I had NEVER put up my Vanderbilt degree. Pause~ Vandy was everything this Brooklyn girl needed. Showed me the world, fostered long lasting relationships and catapulted me forward. True Commodore to the end. Play~ And in that instance, I got up off my couch and ran to my closet looking for it. And alas realized, IT WASN'T EVEN IN MY HOUSE! WHAT? Annie P was slacking....BIG TIME! Of all the things to never put on display, me...Annie P....never framed or put up my degree. Something I was so proud of, that brought me so much joy, that I literally bawled tears of joy on May 8th! Pause~ Yes I cried HARD at my graduation. There were so much blood, sweat and tears that went into that degree. Play~

So once the shock had subsided, I immediately began my search for the BEST framers in Brooklyn, NY. Not only was I going to put it on display but my degree was going to be in the best frame. In the end, this post isn't really about my degree; but, its about knowing that even if life is busy and can take you on all kinds of twists and turns you MUST realize that you are your best example of success.

One of my favorite writers, Tina McCullough-Ansah, wrote the following:

"Claim what is yours. You belong anywhere on the earth you want to."

Pause~ Michelle said this in her speech! I always knew we were BFFs. Play~ And its true. I'm a dream chaser. I want it all! And I'm going to get it all! So readers...TAKE IT ALL! THE WORLD IS YOURS. Pause~ Insert all euphemisms. Play~

So until next time.
This Dreamer Annie P

No comments:

Post a Comment